One Pot French Onion Soup -That Will Warm You Up
Monday Oct 25th, 2021
If there's one thing we all love about cold weather, it's soup! Read on to find an easy One Pot French Onion Soup Recipe, you'll be making all fall and winter long.
- 3 pounds sweet onions
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper plus more to taste
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 8 cups beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 French baguette cut into slices that are about 1/2 thick
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese shredded
- Cut onions into quarters, and then cut into long, thin slices.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a 5-7 quart dutch oven over medium heat, until butter is melted. Add onions and cover dutch oven with lid. Cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in sugar, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, uncovered, while stirring occasionally, until onions are well browned. This will take about 50-60 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in red wine and cook until smell of alcohol is gone.
- Stir in beef broth, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary. Add salt and pepper to taste (for my tastes, I added 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, this may vary depending on preferences and brand of beef broth used).
- Bring soup to a gentle simmer, reduce heat, then cover. Let simmer, covered, for 60 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, toast bread.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place toasted bread on top of soup. Then sprinkle with gruyere cheese. Place in oven and let cook until cheese is melted and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
If you are planning on having soup for leftovers, do not place all of the bread or cheese on the soup. Save some to use when you reheat the soup as the bread does not save well in the soup.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 1353mg | Potassium: 393mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 333IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 289mg | Iron: 2mg
By Sugar Spice Life