Should We Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide?
Wednesday May 30th, 2018
A high school freshman won first prize at a science fair for his experiment demonstrating people’s gullibility. He was attempting to show how conditioned we’ve become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project, the student urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical dihydrogen monoxide for the following good reasons:
1. It is a major component in acid rain.
2. It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state.
3. Accidental inhalation can kill you.
4. It contributes to erosion.
5. It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical:
43 said yes, 6 were undecided, and 1 knew Dihydrogen Monoxide is another name for … water.