Spending time with your partner, family or friends is worth much more than a silly trinket that will end up on the shelf collecting dust. Here are some ideas on how to give gifts of quality time and how to package them.
How do you gift time?
In today’s action-packed world, time is the most precious thing we have. It is not possible to simply go out and buy more of it. Many of us are lucky enough to have everything we need. In fact, we often have more possessions than we know what to do with. Giving time is a much better way to show someone that you care.
Often, we receive gifts that we neither want nor like. Over the years, we collect massive amounts of things that we would have never purchased. In contrast, a gift of time – spending time with people – is much more valuable. You are not only saving money and resources; you are giving your partner (or, our course, your friends or family) something unique. How you want to gift your time is up to you, but the following ideas will help you get inspired.
At Home: Ideas for Quality Time Gifts
- Babysitting: Friends who are parents will be extremely grateful for a little bit of time together. You can make it happen by taking care of their kids for an evening.
- Doing Chores: We all know how hard it is to fit housework into our busy schedules. Not everyone can afford a hired help. So if you help out with someone’s housework, they will appreciate it.
- Giving Lessons: Has a friend ever said to you “You have got to show to me how to do that!”? Then finally make time for that lesson! Teach your friends something that they always wanted to learn from you – like knitting, sewing, crocheting, fixing a bicycle, building furniture, etc.
- Game Night: Does your family love board games? Give them a night of gaming!
- Movie Night: Any film lover will be happy if you allow them to show you all their favorites. Or maybe get inspired together by watching a new documentary or series.
- Jam Sessions: If you and your partner or friend have a hobby in common like playing music, learn a duet or try out piano pieces for four hands
Spending Quality Time with Nature Lovers
- Picnic: A picnic in the park or at your family’s favorite spot in the woods could be a lovely gift for a nature lover.
- Bicycle Tour/ Hiking: Your partner oder friend loves hiking or cycling? Then give them a voucher for a hike or a bicycle tour. The memories you’ll make together will not be as quickly forgotten as the twentieth scarf or thirtieth lipstick.
- Dog-Sitting: Taking care of your friend’s dog for a day is a great way to give them time. Or maybe decide to walk the dog together for a week.
- Foraging for Herbs: If you know a lot about herbs or medicinal plants, a foraging trip through the forest is a wonderful way to spend time with someone you care about. Help your friends identify plants and show them how they can be used. End with a tasty liquor or a beautiful dish with edible flowers.
- Garden Work: Do you have a garden that you don’t have nearly enough time for? A thoughtful gift of time is a day of garden work together.
Gifts of Time for Your Partner
- Cooking Together: If you enjoy cooking or baking, why not surprise your partner with a candlelit dinner or breakfast in bed? These gifts are classics for a reason!
- Reading Aloud: Even something that seems so simple can be an engaging way to spend time together. Read an old favorite or discover a classic together.
- Photos: You could sort through old boxes of photos and put an album together. Or take a drive into the countryside to make new memories and take new photos together!
- Renovate/ Decorate: Paint the bedroom or declutter and redecorate! It’s more fun together.
- Sharing Hobbies: Does your partner have a hobby? A day of sharing your favorite free-time activities can be a nice surprise and a perfect way to spend quality time together.
- Massage: Everyone loves a good back massage. Light a few candles and play some relaxing music and you’ve got the perfect romantic gift of time.
Spending Quality Time with Children
- Playground Time: Your niece, nephew, Godchild or your own children would love to spend more time with you. Simply spend an afternoon with them at the playground or in the woods.
- Do an Activity: Children love it when you spend quality time with them. You could do arts and crafts, make your own playdough or bake oatmeal cookies.
- Storytime: Did you enjoy bedtime stories in your childhood? Your own children will remember them just as fondly.
- Go Swimming: Going swimming in the summer or building sandcastles on the beach –what could make kids happier than that?
How to Wrap a Gift of Time?
You can present your gift simply but elegantly in the form of coupons which you can make yourself or buy. (You will find different coupons on Amazon** ). Or you could write your gift down on a piece of paper and put it in a glass bottle.
If you want to give more than one gift, you could write your vouchers on little pieces of rolled-up paper and put them in a nicely decorated box (Available on Amazon**). Also write down dates that you have set aside.
A picture frame is also a charming way to pack your gift of time. (You’ll find different frames on Amazon**.) Decorate the frame yourself with natural materials, if you like.
How you decide to package your gift, does not matter. The contents are the most important part. Your friends and family will treasure them no matter what. Because these special gifts are ones that only you can make: time spent with you.